Saturday, April 7, 2018

A to Z April Challenge: G is for Glasses


When my sister and I cleaned out our parents’ home, we had to make many decisions about what to do with all the stuff. Which things are truly “valuable” and which have only sentiment in their favor? Should we sell it, keep it, or throw it away? To help ensure a future for our family’s heirlooms, I plan to leave a booklet for my daughters telling the stories of what they will inherit one day. (Not TOO soon, I hope!) With this challenge I begin my book of Heirlooms.




is for glasses, eyeglasses, that is.

As a child I was told these glasses were my maternal grandfather’s. That is what I always believed. However, now I have my doubts.

Glasses belonging to Orvin Davis https://jollettetc.blogspot.com
The glasses sit on a shelf in a guest bedroom.
The size of the glasses make me think they would have been worn by a child, but in none of my granddaddy’s childhood pictures was he wearing glasses.

Not here.

Orvin Davis https://jollettetc.blogspot.com 






















Not here.

Davis and Sullivan cousins https://jollettetc.blogspot.com
My granddaddy - the only boy!
With his sisters, Sullivan cousins, mother, and aunt

Not here either. 

Orvin Davis https://jollettetc.blogspot.com






















I suppose it is possible he was self-conscious and removed the glasses for photos.

But perhaps they were not glasses worn by a child. Granddaddy’s daddy wore glasses that look just like them.

Walter Davis https://jollettetc.blogspot.com
Walter Davis
The glasses are very bendable, almost stretchy. Perhaps they would have fit an adult.

Maybe - Maybe not.

Wendy
© 2018, Wendy Mathias. All rights reserved.

22 comments:

  1. Perhaps the glasses were only for reading.
    Mine are for distance and I have to take them off to read.

    My Genealogy Challenges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a thought I hadn't considered.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't expecting to see eye glasses but rather the drinking type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprise! I guess I could have used these for "S is for Spectacles" but I desperately needed a "G."

      Delete
  3. And there weren't glasses hanging from a beaded chain or on top of a head?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have worn glasses since the age of nine, and, as a child, always made a point of taking them off for photographs. Now I just don’t bother - they are such a part of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have glasses now but I did not grow up with them.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking the same, that he took them off for photos. These are such great photos, too. Love the photo of granddaddy's daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess my thoughts were running in the same line, that he took them off of photos. But if they are very bendable, maybe they were his. I don't think children usually need reading glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's probably right - a kid who needs glasses to read NEEDS glasses, period.

      Delete
  7. Very cool glasses no matter who they belonged to. And like my mother would have said, make up what you want. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so enjoying the opportunity to peek through the windows of your family history! You have such a treasure trove, it's fascinating!

    @IsaLeeWolf
    A Bit to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am growing more appreciative of what I have.

      Delete
  9. Love the old glasses. A couple of years ago, my mother showed me her glasses from when she was a little girl. They didn't fit very well, but she did put them on for some photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking for something the other day and ran across my mom's and dad's glasses, not from their childhood though - just "old people" glasses.

      Delete
  10. Neat that you have them whether he wore them as a child or an adult. Usually only see them in antique stores...sometimes with the case. One of these days, someone is going to find my drawer full of glasses I have worn over the years. Some are coming back in style. Never throw anything away.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the eyeglass stores are filled with the old cat-eye glasses, and some that look like Sally Jesse Raphael glasses. Hang on to yours.

      Delete